A Palm webOS™ app
If you're on Verizon and experiencing long delays to get an accurate fix here is why.
Also, I've heard that loading VZ Navigator (even if you haven't paid for it!) may wake the gps up. If that doesn't help, try restarting the phone.
gpsDashboard is an app that delivers miscellaneous information gathered with the Palm Pre's GPS service. This document includes information on both gpsDashboard Free, and gpsDashboard+, if you are using the free version you may not have access to some of the features mentioned here. gpsDashboard+ is now available in the app catalog for $1.99.
I need help! I have included tranlated information into the app, but I don't know any native speakers of the languages to get it right. If you have noticed anything wrong with the translations, or would like to help get better translations included please email me
- Audible alert to notify you when you've exceeded a configurable speed limit
- Operates in Airplane Mode
- Graphic satellite signal strength indicator
- Current Speed, Direction, and Altitude readout
- Dark theme available
- Dashboard view available. Information can be seen while any other app is running. The information displayed is configurable via preferences.
- Alternate speedometer display, accessible via the application title-bar
- Top speed tracking. Can be reset by tapping on the current information box, or by shaking the device. Shaking reset can be configured for any other reset from within preferences.
- All-time record tracking with locations. This may be accessed by tapping on the title bar.
- Colored speed indicates whether you are traveling faster or slower than average speed. This can be turned off in preferences
- Trip Information Tracking. All values can be reset by tapping on the trip information box. Trip information can be saved between application loads also.
- Trip Duration
- Average Speed
- Distance Traveled
- Distance traveled from the inital point. The initial point is recorded when the app is first loaded, and the minium error tolerance is satisfied.
- Lifetime Distance
- A reverse location feature that will display your current address.
On Startup - Determines the trip reset behavior when the program is loaded.
Theme - Allows you to chose a light, or dark theme
Units - Allows the user to select metric or imperial units of measure.
Backlight - Allows the user to force the screen to stay lit while the program is running.
Max Error - Maximum allowed error in the location fixes.
When Shook - Allows the user to select what gets reset (if anything) when the device is shook.
Colored Speed - Allows the user to turn off the colored speed feature.
Heading - Allows the user to choose to have the heading displayed in North, South, etc, or in degrees.
Average Speed - Determines whether the total distance traveled, or merely the distance traveled from the inital location is used for the average speed calculation.
It keeps saying the satellite signal strength is too low, even when I'm outside. Other apps can get a fix, why can't this?
I get an error saying I haven't accepted the Terms of Service
- Other apps, for instance Google Maps, can also use Google Location Services to get a fix when the GPS unit isn't working properly. My app also has much higher accuracy constraints that it must enforce or the accumulated data would be grossly inaccurate. Sometimes it can take a minute or two to get the error down to an acceptable range (while outside). If you've had it running for a couple minutes outside, and still don't have a good fix you'll need to restart the phone. *Update* I've had some reports that people have had to wait as much as 10+ minutes for the GPS unit to get a usable fix. Since all my app does is request a fix from Palm's GPS unit, there is nothing I can do about it. I apologize for the trouble, but it will work if you give it time (and you're outside).
I get an error saying to ensure GPS fixes are turned on
- Go to Location Services (Third page in the launcher), and goto the preferences menu. From there tap "Locate Me Using" and tap "Google Services". It will then ask you to accept the terms of service.
I get an error saying I'm blacklisted
- Go to Location Services (Third page in the launcher), and goto the preferences menu. From there tap "Locate Me Using" and tap "GPS".
Top Speed goes down unexpectedly
- The only time I've seen this happen is when the app asks your permission to use Location Services and you either decline, or close the app without responding. As far as I know, the only way to clear the error is to restart the phone.
Whats the deal with the accuracy
- By default the app will reset the top speed when you shake the phone. This behavior can be changed in preferences.
All-Time records don't seem to be updating
- By default trip information will not be tracked unless the accuracy is correct within ten meters. This can be changed in preferences.
The 'Get Address' button doesn't work
- All-Time records are hard coded to require a minimum of 10 meter accuracy. If the signal is not strong enough, these records will not be updated.
The altitude is always negative
The app won't install
Why is the address button greyed out?
- This is an issue with the reverse location service in webos that I have no control over. Unfortunately the only way I've found to fix it is to restart the phone.
- Satellite signal strength is too low to get an accurate fix.